Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Yoghurt Cheese Pastry

There are some lovely pastry recipes out there, one of my favourites being Maggie Beer's Sour Cream Pastry.  This is so quick and easy to make in a food processor or of course, the Thermomix.

As you know from my last post, I made yoghurt cheese on the weekend.  This was a really successful experiment, one that I will be repeating regularly.  I had intended to use the cheese in an experimental cheese cake, but I didn't really have enough for my springform pan.  So, that idea will sit on the shelf for a couple of weeks until I make my next batch.

In my meal plan, I had already intended to make Maddy's Artichoke & Parmesan Tart from the forum.  This called for cream cheese pastry...ahhhh...light bulb moment.  How about Yoghurt Cheese Pastry...



Ingredients

  • 135 grams plain flour
  • 60 grams butter
  • 105 grams yoghurt cheese

Directions

Place flour and butter into TM bowl and process until it looks like breadcrumbs.
Add the yoghurt cheese and use interval speed until it comes together.
Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

This pastry is super silky and easy to roll out.  I do recommend that you refrigerate the pastry once in the tart tin to help with minimising shrinkage.  This pastry will shrink when baked, so to help manage that, it helps if you can leave some overhanging pastry until after it's been blind baked.  Trim the pastry when you add the filling, before placing it back in the oven to finish cooking.

These three photos show the Artichoke & Parmesan Tart before filling, after blind baking and then the finished product.  You will notice how much the pastry has shrunk even though the pastry sat in the fridge for several hours today.  Nevertheless...simply delicious, short and flaky pastry.
Happy days!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bruise Mouse, it really was! And I'm pretty sure it works out cheaper than bought cream cheese which is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete