Earlier in the day I had experimented with my new perforated baguette pan and made three par-baked baguettes to be frozen for use another day.
|Yeah, a bit wonky I know. A work in progress...|
I had a kilo of Roma tomatoes waiting in the freezer for just such an occasion, so I whipped them out, straight onto an oven tray and into the oven. Of course, this isn't exactly what the recipe calls for, however, it worked in a pinch. They leached a lot of liquid, which I just ended up using as part of the "water" as called for in the recipe. Absolutely satisfied with the result. So was my son...
|Can you tell he likes soup? I think some went INTO his mouth as well!|
Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
- 1 kg Roma tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons TM vege stock concentrate
- 500 grams water
- 1 cup basil, finely shredded
1. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and place cut side up on an oven tray. Separate cloves from head of garlic (don't peel) and scatter them around the tray. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven (200ºC) for 40 minutes or until tender.
2. Place the onion in the TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 5. Add the olive oil and saute for 3 minutes at 100ºC, speed 1. Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional minute at 100ºC, speed 1.
3. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins into the TM bowl. Add the roasted tomatoes and half the shredded basil together with the vege stock concentrate and water. Blend briefly for 15 seconds, speed 9.
4. Cook for 8 minutes at 100ºC speed 1. Blend again for 30 seconds bringing the speed up slowly to speed 9.
5. Serve sprinkled with the reserved shredded basil and some crusty (garlic) bread on the side.