Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Muesli Bars

A very simple recipe, found on Forum Thermomix which has been converted from a Better Homes & Gardens recipe.  I had to modify it slightly based on what I had in the pantry, so I've indicated in the recipe below what I did.
I pressed the mixture into two pans and made it less than one cm thick to replicate commercial bars.  I also chopped up the nuts quite finely to suit my 2 1/2 year old.  As the kids get older I will leave them a little chunkier.
I do have to add a note here about the overpowering sweetness of this recipe.  It had some sugar reduced when the recipe was posted on the forum and I used even less than that, but still, this is one very sweet recipe.  Next time, I will be reducing the sugar again.  Despite that, this is a really delicious slice.

Ingredients

  • 40 grams dried apricots (I didn't have any so used sultanas)
  • 40 grams dates
  • 25 grams sunflower seeds
  • 35 grams pumpkin seeds
  • 25 grams pecans (I replaced with raw peanuts)
  • 25 grams almonds
  • 65 grams desiccated coconut
  • 35 grams wheatgerm (I ground some rolled rye into a course flour)
  • 110 grams rolled oats
  • 25 grams oat bran (I ground some rolled oats into a course flour)
  • 15 grams sesame seeds
  • 40 grams craisins or sultanas (I used Goji berries)
  • 200 grams unsalted butter
  • 100 grams honey, (originally 1/2 cup)
  • 120 grams rapadura sugar, (originally 3/4 cup, next time I may only use 80g or so)

Directions

1. Place apricots, dates, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in locked, speed 10 approx 5 seconds in bowl.
2. Add coconut, wheatgerm, rolled oats, oat bran, sesame seeds, craisins or sultanas in locked, speed 1 counterclock approx 5 seconds or until mixed. Set aside.
3. Put butter, honey and sugar in locked. Cook at 80 deg, spd 1 about 6 minutes until mixture is caramelly. Stir caramel into muesli mixture.
4. Press combined mixture into lined baking tray. Lay a sheet of baking paper on top and press firmly with a flat tray to compress slice. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container and eat within 7 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment